Wednesday, March 3, 2010

On the Up and Up

Let's talk about Target. There are people out there that swear that Target is one of the greatest contributions of modern man. The fact that you can get an Isaac Mizrahi blouse, motor oil, and Cadbury Cream Eggs all under one roof is the stuff dreams are made of. I didn't used to be one of those people. Walmart is down the street from me. The service can drive me bonkers but driving the extra ten minutes to get to Target just wasn't worth it.

And then I had a baby during the Great Recession.

Actually, I shouldn't put it all on the new baby.

I procrastinate. I am a SUPER PROCRASTINATOR. In all aspects of life. This includes buying essentials for the babies - like diapers.

I used to buy Huggies diapers at Costco. I hate going to Costco by myself and because John hates going to Costco period, I kind of ran out of diapers. So I scrambled up some Target coupons for Pampers but the coupons were the kind where you had to buy wipes and diapers to get a measly $4 off. The total transaction would have been way more than what I would have paid at Costco but since I waited until that absolute last minute, I was screwed. So off I go to overpay for these Pampers. When I get there, I notice that (yes, I know I changed tenses. Eat me.) there is a mustard yellow package with a nice clean design. It's Up and Up - Target's new generic brand. I think to myself, "Screw it. I'll just buy these for now since they're super cheap and go to Costco in the morning."

I never went back to Costco for diapers. My kids' hazardous waste goes exclusively into Up and Up diapers and they are AWESOME. And CHEAP. I wish they had super jumbo packs (like Costco) but other than that I have only kind words to say about these diapers.

BUt that was only the beginning. I started exploring other Up and Up products for the babies. As of today, we use the following Up and Up products: Diapers, baby wipes, baby laundry detergent, baby corn starch powder, AND (drum roll please) FORMULA!

The decision to move to Up and Up formula was a hard one to make - taking about four minutes in the formula aisle. Normally, we get #2's formula in Tijuana - Enfamil Premium at a whopping $19 for the mega can (vs. $35 at Costco). Again, I ran out and waited til the last minute when it was raining and super inconvenient to go to TJ. I gathered my coupons and hopped off to Target at night. I was standing there with my friend Anne, showing her the price of Enfamil vs. Up and Up. She asked why I couldn't just get the Up and Up. To which I responded, "YOU DO NOT MESS WITH FORMULA." If it works, let sleeping dogs lie. If you change it, you could open the flood gates to a night of HELL - crying, gas, CRYING. And then it hit me. Big deal. If #2 doesn't take to the formula, I'll just switch back to Enfamil. But if he does take to it, this could save me a bazillion dollars. Here's why. The Up and Up mega can is (another drum roll please) $16 and change. No crazy trip to TJ required AND cheaper!

Fortunately, #2 didn't skip a beat. He's been on the Up and Up for about a month now. Still thriving, still loving life.

Which reminds me, I have to go to Target right now. I don't think I have enough formula for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for never letting me know you had a blog. Love you,
-Your Aunt

Madam Director said...

Whoops.